Declutter These 52 Things From Your Life Today
by Courtney Carver
Decluttering can feel like an impossible task but sometimes a big glass of water, a fun, let-it-go playlist and a very specific list of things to let go of can get things started.
You get the water, I’ll give you the list!
If you want to enjoy your favorite things, only own your favorite things.
If you feel stuck, stop thinking about what you are getting rid of and instead consider what you are making space for. Make space for laughing, resting and connecting. Make space to show up for your life. Make space for what matters to you.
You always use your favorites, but still have extras for a variety of reasons. You bought it on sale. You are holding on “just in case” or someone gave it to you. Or maybe you just thought (see #41) you were “supposed” to have more. You get to determine how much is enough for you, maybe it’s one or none or less or more.
1. coffee cups
2. measuring cups & spoons
3. wooden spoons
4. wire whisks
5. the same shirt in different colors
6. handbags (yep, I went there)
Things that make you feel bad
If you want to feel good, stop surrounding yourself with things that make you feel bad.
9. sentimental items that remind you of things you don’t want to remember
10. mean things people said about you
11. old journals from a hard time
12. the news
13. clothes you spent too much money on
Stuff you never use
If you are holding on thinking, “it’s not hurting anything,” reframe and ask yourself how it’s helping and contributing to your life. If it’s not, you don’t have room for it.
14. random spices and sauces
15. uncomfortable shoes
16. old makeup and other beauty supplies
17. clothes that don’t fit your body or your lifestyle
18. empty frames and other containers
19. exercise equipment
20. outdated hobby stuff
21. books you’ve already read or never plan on reading
22. junk drawer things (or the whole thing)
24. freebies (when you bought things you didn’t need to get things you didn’t want)
25. gifts (yes, if you don’t want them, you are welcome to let them go)
You don’t have to save it all. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
26. podcasts you don’t listen to
27. music you don’t enjoy
28. documents you saved and never access
29. email you don’t need
30. subscriptions you aren’t using
31. people on social media you don’t want to follow anymore
32. apps that drain your time and energy
33. social media platforms you don’t enjoy or care about
Photos and paper
With paper and photos, it’s not about getting organized. It’s about saving less. If the piles keep growing, ask these two simple questions.
34. photos that are duplicates or similar to others from the same event
35. blurry photos
36. photos of things you don’t remember or don’t want to remember
36. coupons or mailers you aren’t using
37. bills and statements you can get online
38. old newspapers and magazines
39. children’s artwork and homework (save some but not all)
40. anything you’ve ever ripped out of a magazine
Heart + soul + mind
This is the clutter you can’t see. It’s the hard stuff, the stuff that’s holding you back. And it’s yours to let go of when you are ready.
41. believing everything you think
42. other people’s opinions
44. apologizing for things you don’t need to be sorry for
45. being normal
48. old goals and expectations
49. diet culture
51. the past
52. anything that keeps you up at night (except your kids, pets, partners)
You may not have to declutter all of these things. Simply remove the things that remove you from your life.
Other decluttering challenges to help you enjoy letting go of things:
- 30-day Minimalism Game
- Decluttering Burst: Let Go of 100 Things In an Hour or Less
- Anti-Procrastination Decluttering Challenge: 10 Spaces, 10 Minutes, 100 items.
More motivation to live with less:
- Less Is Now
- Minimalism: A Documentary About The Important Things
- How To Simplify your Life (Podcast Episode)
- Decluttering 101: 10 Rules To Help You Live With Less Stuff
P.S. For extra inspiration, direction and support to declutter and simplify your life, join the Simplicity Space. We open at the end of the month. Get on the waiting list here.
Courtney from Be More with Less